Whether woodworking is your passion and you like following your grandpa’s years old approach or you have a taste for latest technology, an effective tool such as the Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set can help take your skills to the next level.
Regardless of the driving force behind your interest in woodworking and your level of experience, the Domino DF500Q is one tool that you will most definitely come across during your life. Cutting deep mortises for the strongest tenons and joinery, this tool is not only effective, it is also quicker than an average biscuit joiner.
The Festool Domino is functionally very similar to a biscuit joiner. However, the use of biscuits in a biscuit joiner and the use of Domino tenon stand out as one of the biggest difference between the two tools. Most experienced woodworkers would be quick to point out that biscuits are weaker than tenons and don’t make a great fit for projects that require the joint to be strong. A Domino tenon, on the other hand is a solid pieces of wood and is strong, tight and capable of penetrating deep into boards.“Festool's Domino joinery system is able to crank out hybrid mortise-and-tenon joinery faster than you can mount your dado stack,” claims FineWoodWorking.com
Looking to learn more about how the Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set can make an excellent to your workshop? This article highlights the unique characteristics of this tool and offers valuable insights on everything that is to be expected when you purchase your first Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set.
- Great at allowing quick joinery
- Make an excellent tool for commercial applications of joinery
- The tool is stronger than an average biscuit joiner
- Produces flawless mortises
- Tenons are 100% rotation-proof
- The cost of purchasing this tool exceeds that of most other joinery tools
- The tool requires proprietary tenons
- The set doesn’t come with a vacuum
- A tenons box will need to be purchased as additional
About The Domino Series
The family of Domino joiners by Festoool is composed of two high-quality domino joiners, each with its own set of unique characteristics. The Festool 574432 Domino Joiner DF700 and the DF500 both perform well. However, each is used in a different application. The DF700 is ideal for heavy-duty tasks such as constructing beds and doors. Smaller amongst the two, the DF500, , works well for easier tasks such as constructing small tables and other cabinetry applications.
Different Mortise Sizes
- Cutters available for 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 mm thick tenons
- Max depth 1 3/32″ (28mm)
- Cutters available for 8, 10, 12, and 14 mm thick tenons
- Max Depth: 2-3/4″ (70mm)
Let’s admit it: Joining can often turn into a very slow and tedious task. However, the Festool Joining Set is designed to offer maximum accuracy and speed up the process.
The Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set consists of: Domino tenons and a Domino joiner.
The Domino joiner features a revolutionary technology, plenty of easy-to-use indexing options and adjustable mortise sizing to produce clean mortises each time.
The Domino tenons, on the other hand, are just as special. They are carefully designed to resist torqueing, have a larger surface for gluing purposes and are way stronger than biscuits.
What’s In the Box?
A standard Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set includes the following:
- Domino Cutter (5mm)
- Plug-it Power Cord
- Support Bracket
- Trim Stop
- Cross Stop
- T-Loc Systainer 2
- FESTOOL 3-Year Warranty
- FESTOOL 30-Day Guarantee
** A box of tenons is required to be purchased separately.
- Cutter Spindle Speed: 24,300 rpm
- DOMINO Slot Cutter Diameter: 5 / 6 / 8 / 10 mm
- Miter Routing: 0-90°; stop positions at 0°, 22.5°, 45°, 67.5°, 90°
- Movable Stepped Stop: 16 / 20 / 22 / 25 / 28 / 36 / 40 mm
- Power Consumption: 420 watts
- Routing Depth Stop: 12 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 28 mm
- Routing Height Adjuster with Scale: 5-30 mm
- Hose Port Diameter: 27 mm
- Weight: 7 lbs. (3.2 kg)
Benefits of Using The Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set
- Comes with an indexing pin for easy alignment and accurate placement against the work piece.
- Creates a range full of mortises with angles ranging from 0 through 90°; with positive stops at angles: 22.5°, 45° and 67.5°.
- Provides the options to adjust mortise width with just the turn of a dial.
- Supports easy alignment for joining panels.
- A wide range of tenons and cutters are available to produce mortises anywhere from 4x20mm to 10x50 mm.
- Featuring an adjustable cutter height and retractable stops, precise positioning can be achieved.
As happy as you must be to learn that the Festool 574432 Domino Joiner supports a wide range of dimensions, configuring to different settings is very simple.
Here’s everything you need to do about setting-up your Festool 574432 Domino Joiner:
- The on and off switch on the machine can be seen located on the top
- You can easily spot a dial on the machine. This works to adjust the width of dominos
- Located on the left-side of the tool, the metallic gauge can help with achieving different angles
- Built-in stops are located on the front panel of the machine. Separating a Domino from a typical biscuit joiner, these can help in aligning the mortises and accurately measure the length of the board
Handling The Domino Joiner
What truly sets apart the Domino 574432 Domino Joiner with others tools is being able to carry the machine to the wood.
This makes the Domino joiner very efficient even in cramped workspaces or for complex projects that require you to move around from one spot to another. This light weight tool (weighing only 7 pounds) can be easily carried around by users; to manipulate any work piece and punch mortises at different angles.
The Domino joiner comes with a secondary handle located towards the front-end of the machine, however, the tool can very easily used with a single hand; leaving you with enough flexibility to control your work.
While easy movement of the Domino joiner allows flawless mortises and flexibility to work in tight spaces, carrying the tool around for long hours can mean a potential for wrist fatigue.
Speed and accuracy is made achievable with the Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set. This tool has a patented system that oscillates and rotates simultaneously, producing precise and clean cuts at a greater speed.
The Festool Domino joiner DF 500 Q in particular is capable of generating a top-peed of 24,3000 RPM; making it a machine unrivaled by any other tool available in the market.For us, at least, using this machinery was almost like cheating. The results were very extremely fast and high-quality.
Different Tenon Size Selections
The beauty of owning a Domino Joiner lies in the ability of being able to purchase tenons of exact length, width and size and produce joints efficiently.
Minimum Lumber Thickness
10 mm (25/64")
24 mm (15/16")
50 mm (1-31/32")
8 mm (5/16")
22 mm (27/32")
40 mm (1-9/16")
6 mm (7/32")
20 mm (25/32")
40 mm (1-9/16")
5 mm (3/16")
19 mm (3/4")
30 mm (1-3/16")
4 mm (5/32")
17 mm (21/32")
20 mm (25/32")
The Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set comes with a 3-year service all-inclusive warranty from the manufacturer and is supported by a 30-day money back guarantee from the date of purchase. All customers are required to present proof of purchases.
Here’s What Customers Have To Say About The Festool 574432 Domino Joiner Set
Serving the needs of the wood working industry for years, customers can be seen praising this tool for its steady performance. While customers agree that this is an expensive tool, most argue that is worth every penny. Labelled as perhaps the best joiner on the market, the Festool 574432 has been an absolute game changer for the industry.
All-in-all the Festool 574432 is an excellent investment. The number of features such as a speed beyond compare, perfectly aligned mortises, clean cuts and the ability to carry the produce different angles makes it a purchase that one can never go wrong with.Perhaps, the only drawbacks of this tool are its hefty price tag that too can be well-justified with the value provided by this tool. However, that too is justified by its its time saving performance and precise results.